NEDIC relies on the support of our dedicated team of volunteers. With their input, passion and commitment, NEDIC is able to effectively reach more people every year. We have a variety of volunteering opportunities available - check out the volunteer opportunities listings below to learn more about how you can join us in helping to prevent eating disorders and addressing food and weight preoccupation.
Please note that due to the high volume of volunteer applications only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants contacted for an interview can expect to be contacted by NEDIC staff within two weeks of applying online. Thank you for your interest in volunteering with NEDIC!
Social Media Volunteer
Supervisor: Outreach & Education Coordinator
The Social Media Volunteer will update and curate content on NEDIC Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest as well as NEDIC LinkedIn and Tumblr page. This is a great position for an individual with a strong interest in online communication and social media for non-profit organizations. We welcome new creative ideas and initiatives for growing our social media reach and impact. Past experience with using social media and communications is required, as is a non-dieting philosophy.
NEDIC welcomes volunteer applications from students, people who have been affected by eating disorders (recovered), persons with disabilities and members of marginalized communities.
Social media duties include:
- Post regularly to the NEDIC Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest pages.
- Research appropriate articles, images, videos and research findings to showcase on social media.
- Respond to direct messages received through social media.
- Develop NEDIC LinkedIn organizational page.
- Research social media growth and maximization tools.
- Increase social media reach by 25% over the course of one year.
- Contribute to NEDIC’s mission of preventing eating disorders and food and weight preoccupation.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- At least one year of prior experience working in a social media / communications capacity.
- Strong computer skills; past experience using LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter a must.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Understanding of eating disorders and food and weight preoccupation.
Volunteer Time Frame and Commitment:
- Completion of two mandatory full-day training sessions per year.
- Commitment of 3 hours per week.
- Time commitment of one year at minimum.
- Provide reasonable notice to Supervisor of anticipated scheduling conflicts/changes.
- Work at NEDIC headquarters, in downtown Toronto. Evening shifts available.
Calling all Bloggers!
The NEDIC blog is a public forum for education and creative expression on eating disorders, body image and food and weight preoccupation. Updated weekly, we are always looking for talented writers to contribute content for the blog. We welcome established bloggers, professionals and clinicians looking to expand their audience or discuss their work, and for writers who are passionate about health at every size and eating disorder recovery. We welcome submissions of 300-500 words, and all submissions will be considered. NEDIC welcomes blog submissions from students, people who have been affected by eating disorders, persons with disabilities and members of marginalized communities. Please note that because of the high volume of blog submissions we receive, we cannot publish all blog entries that we receive.
Send your blog for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Blog Submission'